When: Six week programme, starting on Thursday 20th September. 7.30pm – 9.00pm.
Venue: The Forge Family ResourceCentre, Main Street, Pettigo, Co. Donegal
Entry: Free & no advance registration required
This Stress Control Programme is a six week programme delivered by Donegal Mind Wellness. It is free to attend and there is no advance registration required.
The course is easy to understand and there is no pressure for attendees to speak at any of the sessions. It runs for 6 sessions and is suitable for everyone.
Session 1: What Is Stress?
Thursday, 20th September
- INFORMATION: How Stress Control works. Detailed information about stress: anxiety, depression, insomnia, etc. Audio examples. How common is stress? The 14 most common signs. Anxiety and depression tests. What keeps stress going? The Vicious Circle. Important statements.
- SKILLS: Getting started: Stress Control in ten words: face your fears, be more active, watch what you drink.
Session 2: Controlling Your Body
Thursday, 27th September
- INFORMATION: The vicious circle: how the body feeds stressed feelings. Anxiety: fight/flight/faint/freeze. Depression: being overwhelmed and withdrawing. ‘I had a black dog’.
- SKILLS: Caffeine, breathing retraining, exercise, progressive relaxation. Relaxation CD or code to access relaxation section of website.
Session 3: Controlling Your Thoughts
Thursday, 4th October
- INFORMATION: The role of vigilance and threat; ‘grasshopper thinking’ and ‘the Blinkers’.
- SKILLS: Thinking your way out of stress: ‘Wait a minute’, the Big 5 Challenges’, Breaking stress up.
Session 4: Controlling Your Actions
Thursday, 11th October
- INFORMATION: The vicious circle: how actions feed stressed feelings, body symptoms and thoughts. Building the positive circle – seeing the big picture. Effects of avoidance and behaviour.
- SKILLS: Face your fears; getting out of the safety zone; problem solving.
Session 5a: Controlling Panic Feelings
Thursday, 18th October
- INFORMATION: Dealing with feeling overwhelmed with a focus on the role of breathing in causing stress and, by controlling it, in controlling stress.
- SKILLS: Breathing retraining, preventative CBT approaches.
Session 5b: Getting A Good Night’s Sleep
- INFORMATION: Looks at the importance in getting a good night’s sleep and the problems lack of sleep or poor quality sleep cause.
- SKILLS: Relaxation, ‘Sleeping tips’ and ‘Retraining your sleep’.